Monday, October 5, 2009

The Cold Shoulder

This past week DJ called me up and asked me out for a date. I had already decided that I would say yes when he asked. So he picked me up promptly at 7 and wanted to go out dinner on the pier. I had a nice time and good conversation. As we walked back down the pier he put his arm around me and in that moment I felt horrible that I could not reciprocate and snuggle in to him. He felt the distance as I continued walking arms crossed, shoulders stiff, he took notice and gracefully took his arm off totally deflated. What do I do to make up for my lack of interest in him romantically...I TALK and TALK to make up for any awkward silence or pauses. I talked so much I had a sore throat when I got home three hours later.

I had debated if this date was a good idea or not and although it did not change my mind I think that it was a positive experience overall. I did learn more about him and really admired what a hard worker he is and liked his go-getter attitude. I was impressed with his ability to take a risk so early on and to try and put his arm around me. The ratio of risk to benefit that early on is so wise! Really he hasn't invested more than $20 on dinner and two weeks of flirting/pursuing so had I reciprocated this would of been a big gain and with the non-reciprocation it was only a small loss. In that small moment I really realized that I did not feel any romantic feelings towards him and he found out that it wasn't more than a friendly connection between us and that was it NO major harm done. He has since stopped calling and texting. Even better is that we have run into each other and had totally normal friendly conversation. So I would recommend to anyone out there to give people a chance at least one date.

No comments:

Post a Comment